Skip to main content

Do

 Almost invariably, there is tension where prioritizing are concerned.  Usually the tension begins with such quandaries as, "Do I pay this bill or wait?"  Or, "Should I answer all my e-mails or should I apply myself to the next work deadline?"  "Can I pick up the kids and then go shopping or should I try to squeeze in the shopping first?" 

            Faith presents its own set of confusing priorities.  "Should I pray today if I really do not feel like it?"  "When I talk to others about my faith, am I being soulfully true or merely preaching the merits of eating spiritual broccoli?"  And then there are the particular problems of study.  "I feel like learning - and I know this is a good preoccupation - but I do not feel at all spiritual.  How do I solve this dilemma?" 


            Judaism presents a unique perspective to this problem.  It states that doing enough the right thing for the wrong motivation produces the right results.


           "A person should always study Torah, even if his motives are not worthy for by studying out of unworthy aims he will come to study Torah out of worthy ones."  Shulchan Aruch


The traditional and authentic view of Judaism is that actions create the mindset instead of the usual approach towards religious matters, i.e., 'When the spirit moves you....'.  What we do defines us both to others as well as ourselves.  Our behavior informs the way we think and what we think.  It does not matter that we do not feel like doing righteous acts, just do them.  The mind will follow.


Put more succinctly, the Talmud informs us, "Study is great because it leads to action."  Kiddushin 40b

When in doubt, do the right thing.  The feelings will follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?