Skip to main content

The Race

 The Greek words for "toil" and "strive" were used to describe the grueling struggle of athletes in Olympic competition: the driven desire, endless discipline, training and endurance.  As marathon runner Peter Strudwick put it, "Call me a fanatic, if you will, but I'll be out there running for as long as the challenge exists.  And when I face my final race, if I can't run, I'll jog; if I can't jog, I'll walk; if I can't walk, I'll crawl on all fours if I have to; and if I can't crawl, I'll die with my face to the finish line...and a thousand runners who are faster than I will take my place."


This is life.  Adversity comes and we muster up the energy to confront it, move around it or overcome it.  And when the race is over, others will take our place.

But...the human race will be richer when we present it with a hope that all things are possible, no challenge is to great to stop us unless we give up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?