Skip to main content

Today

When I got mad and hit my child
“For his own good,” I reconciled,
And then I realized my plight –
Today, I taught my child to fight.
When interrupted by the phone,
I said, “Tell them I’m not home,”
And then I thought, and had to sigh-
Today, I taught my child to lie.
I told the tax man what I made,
Forgetting cash that I was paid:
And then I blushed at this sad feat –
Today, I taught my child to cheat.
I smugly copied a cassette,
To keep me free of one more debt.
But now the bells of shame must peal
Today, I taught my child to steal.
Today. I cursed another race.
Oh G-d, protect what I debase,
For now, I fear it is too late.
Today, I taught my child to hate.
By my example, children learn
That I must lead in life’s sojourn
In such a way that they are led
By what is done, not what is said.
Today, I gave my child his due
By praises for him instead of rue.
And now I have begun my guide:
Today I gave my child his pride.
I now have reconciled and paid
To IRS on all I made.
And now I know that this dear youth
Today has learned from me, of truth.
The alms I give are not for show,
And yet, this child must surely know
That charity is worth the price:
Today, he saw my sacrifice.
I clasp within a warm embrace
My neighbor of another race –
The great commandment from above,
Today. I taught. my child to love.,
Someday, my child must face alone
This world of fearsome undertone,
But I have blazed a sure pathway:
Today, I taught my child – to pray.

-Henry Matthew Ward

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?