Skip to main content

Life

In his book the “Power of the Powerless,” Christopher de Vinck tells a simple story: one spring afternoon my five-year-old son, David, and I were for planting raspberry bushes along the side of the garage… A neighbor joined us for a few moments… David, pointed to the ground. “Look, daddy! What’s that?”
“I stopped talking with my neighbor and looked. “A beetle,” I said. David was impressed and pleased with the discovery of this fancy, colorful creature. My neighbor lifted his foot and stepped on the insect, giving issue an extra twist in the dirt. “That ought do it,” he laughed.
David looked up at me, waiting for an explanation, a reason…That night, just before I turned off the light in his bedroom, David whispered, “I liked that beetle, daddy.”
”I did too,” I whispered back.

Life is precious. It should not be a child that makes us realize this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?