When the gaon Rabbi Yom Tov Lippman was rabbi of Krakow there lived a very wealthy man in that city, known as “Stingy Shimon.” He was despised by all the inhabitants because he never donated any money for charitable purposes. However, his servant, Shlomie, was well liked, since he gave large sums to the poor. No one ever questioned how he obtained his money, nor what business he conducted. He had been a servant at the home of “Stingy Shimon” for a number of years, and when he retired he took greater interest in the poor than ever before. Every day he invited groups of men to his home where they received a wholesome meal and some pocket money. People admired Shlomie’s devotion and loyalty to the poor. One day it became known that “Stingy Shimon” had died. No one attended his funeral and very few people in the city mourned him.
They appealed to Rabbi Yom Tov Lippman for help. He immediately summoned Shloime the servant.
”Why have you stopped giving charity?” the gaon asked.
“Rabbi, I want you to know that the money which I gave was not my own, Shloime explained. “It was Stingy Shimon gave me the money under oath that I would not reveal his name. I wish to distribute the tzedaka, inasmuch as he did not seek honor. He dealt out his entire fortune to me and now he’s dead I have nothing to give.”
The sage was astounded and impressed with the secret Shloime had divulged. Now I understand what the Talmud meant when it said, “And a servant to run before him.” Here is a shining example of Reb Shimon who sent his servant to aid and guide the poor.”
The distinguished rabbi then requested that he too be buried near “Stingy Shimon.”
You never know...so do not be quick to judge others....
Comments