Skip to main content

Adversity

A Maggid arrives in a small town and as was custom a notice was placed on the wall of the synagogue that we would deliver a sermon that Shabbat.  Saturday morning came and the notice had been torn down.  He began his discourse with this story:
“One way my wife went to visit a relative and I was left alone.  In the afternoon I went to the butcher and bought a tongue.  He instructed me how to prepare it, and since I was afraid I might forget that he said, I wrote the instructions down on a piece of paper and pasted it onto the tongue.  On the way home I was a attacked by a dog, that made a dash to grab the tongue. The mongrel only managed to seize the slip of paper.  So I said, “Dog, you can keep the paper, for as long as the tongue remains with me I will be able to help myself.”

There is more than one way to deal with adversity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?