Skip to main content

Proud to Be a Jew

The room was hushed as Louis Brandeis came forward. It was an electric moment, the first time that this exclusive Harvard Honor Society had ever accepted a Jew. For Brandeis it had not been an easy road. For the past three years,  the students -uninvited - had sat next to him as he had his lunch each day, saying things to him like, “Brandeis, you’re brilliant, could end up on the Supreme Court - except that you are a Jew.  Why don’t you convert? Then all your problems will be solved.” Brandeis had listened but had not responded.
Finally, in his senior year of law school, his preeminence could not be denied. Jewish or not, he was invited to join the exclusive Honor Society. On the evening of the official induction, the atmosphere was thick. All eyes were on him as he walked to the lectern. Slowly, he looked around the room.  “I’m sorry I was born a Jew,” he said. The room erupted in applause, an explosion of shouting and cheers. They had prevailed upon him at last.  
Brandeis waited. When the silence was regained he began again, "I am sorry I was born a Jew, but only because I wish I had the privilege of choosing Judaism on my own.” 

This time there was no shouting, no explosion, no cheers, this time that was the only respectful silence. The members of the society awed by his conviction and strength of character. When he finished they gave him a standing ovation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?