Two women and two men are in
a shared taxi traveling to Jerusalem. One
is a yeshiva student. The man sitting in
the front seat turns to adders the student, “Excuse me, but I’d like to ask you
a question. Do you really believe that
the world is over 5700 years old?”
“Absolutely,” answered the student.
“How can you believe that? I am a geologist and I assure you that the
world came into being much longer than 5700 years ago. It cannot be.”
The student responded, “If
you believe that, then how can you call yourself a Jew?”
“I am 100% Jewish,” the man
answered. “I am part of the Jewish people,
history and land, I speak Hebrew, I feel Jewish…”
At this point the driver
interjects, “I agree with him. Since when do you have to believe in the creation
of the world to be Jewish?”
In a few moments the taxi is
full of heated arguments debating Jewishness.
When the taxi finally arrives in Jerusalem, each wishes the others well,
and they go their separate ways peacefully.
This is how life is supposed to be. We question, debate but love must always undergird every relationship.
Comments