Skip to main content

Apikorus

An apikorus (one who denies belief) from Minsk went to see the famous Apikorus of Pinsk.   He was surprised to find that the latter davenned, wore tefillin, studied a blatt Gemara every day, washed before saying berchot and recited Birkat Ha-Mazon.  "I thought you were an apikorus," he said.  "At least that is what I was told.  Yet, you daven, learn, wash, say berakhot, and you bench!  What kind of an apikorus is that??"
"I am an apikorus" replied the Pinsker.  "What do you think is an apikorus?"
Said the Pinsker, "An apikorus is someone who doesn't do any on those things. I do not do any of them."
Pinsker: "You aren't an apikorus, you are a goy."

Belief and action are two tightly intertwined concepts.  Both are critical.  Yet, we must never forget or neglect who we are and where we come from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?