During a gigantic celebration in Red Square, after Trotsky had been sent into exile, Stalin, standing on Lenin's tomb, suddenly and excitedly raised his hand to still the acclamations:
"Comrades, comrades!" A most historic event! A cablegram - of congratulations from Trotsky!"
The hordes cheered and Stalin read the historic cable aloud:
JOSEPH STALIN
KREMLIN, MOSCOW
YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG. YOU ARE THE TRUE HEIR OF LENIN. I SHOULD APOLOGIZE.
TROTSKY
You can imagine how the crowd exploded in astonishment and triumph. But in the front row, below the podium, a little tailor called Stalin over and whispered to him, "Such a message, Comrade Stalin. For all the ages! But you read it without the right feeling."
Whereupon Stalin raised his hand and stilled the crowd. "Comrades! Here is a simple worker, a loyal Communist, who says I haven't rad the message from Trotsky with enough feeling! Come, Comrade worker. Up here! You read this historic communication!"
Whereupon the tailor cleared his throat and read:
JOSEPH STALIN
KREMLIN, MOSCOW
YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG? YOU ARE THE TRUE HEIR OF LENIN? I SHOULD APOLOGIZE???
TROTSKY -Alexander Wohl
It is not always what you say but how you say it.
"Comrades, comrades!" A most historic event! A cablegram - of congratulations from Trotsky!"
The hordes cheered and Stalin read the historic cable aloud:
JOSEPH STALIN
KREMLIN, MOSCOW
YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG. YOU ARE THE TRUE HEIR OF LENIN. I SHOULD APOLOGIZE.
TROTSKY
You can imagine how the crowd exploded in astonishment and triumph. But in the front row, below the podium, a little tailor called Stalin over and whispered to him, "Such a message, Comrade Stalin. For all the ages! But you read it without the right feeling."
Whereupon Stalin raised his hand and stilled the crowd. "Comrades! Here is a simple worker, a loyal Communist, who says I haven't rad the message from Trotsky with enough feeling! Come, Comrade worker. Up here! You read this historic communication!"
Whereupon the tailor cleared his throat and read:
JOSEPH STALIN
KREMLIN, MOSCOW
YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG? YOU ARE THE TRUE HEIR OF LENIN? I SHOULD APOLOGIZE???
TROTSKY -Alexander Wohl
It is not always what you say but how you say it.
Comments