Skip to main content

Your Path

A woman begged the Maggid of Kozhenitz for a blessing to have a child.  He said, “My mother was as unhappy as you are, and fore the same reason.  That was the case until one day she met the Baal Shem Tov.  She presented the Baal Shem Tov with a cape.  I was then conceived and born the following year.”
“Thank you,” said the woman, beaming.  “I will do as you suggest.  I will get the most beautiful cape I can find.”
The Maggid smiled.  “No, that will not help you.  You see, my mother did not know this story.”

Alternate telling: 
A woman who came to see the Maggid of Koznitz, Rabbi Israel told of her sorrow:
“I have been married twelve years and am still childless.”
“What do you think you will do?” asked the rabbi.
And since she did not know what to say, she began to tell him as follows:
“Listen, my mother was quite old and without children.  One day she heard that the holy Baal Shem Tov would stop in Apt, her village.  She hurried up to the end where he was staying and begged him to pray for her to bear a child. The holy man asked her about her life. “My husband is a poor bookbinder but it home I have a beautiful thing I want to give you as a present. And she hurried to her home to pick up from her coffer a nicely preserved cloak.  Once more she hurried back to the inn with her beautiful gift, only to find that the Baal Shem had just left for Mezritch. Unhesitatingly, without delay, she took to the road. Having no money to hire a carriage she walked with cloak on her arm.  So she walked from village to village until she came to Mezritch. The Baal Shem received the cloak and put it on saying, “This is fine.” My mother made the whole trip back home once more on foot, going through one village after another until she returned to her house. The next year I was born.”
“I will also bring you a nice cloak from my home to have a child,” the woman said.
”No,” the Maggid retorted, “You have heard a story but my mother had not been told any story.



Your life is unique.  Your path only belongs to you.  Choose well.  Do good. Follow your heart and God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?