Like all of the Baal Shem's disciples he dreaded pride. He said: "When I shall meet my Maker, I will be asked why I did not learn that man can and must learn during his passage on earth. I shall reply: "Don't blame me, I wasn't intelligent enough, that is hardly my fault."
"Then why didn't you gave up earthly pleasures and devote yourself to serving the Lord?"
"You mustn't blame me, I shall say, I lacked the physical strength for that."
Then the court will examine my humanitarian activities and I shall be forced to admit that here too I failed to do my duty. My excuse? That I myself led a destitute existence. In the end, I can foresee it, one of the judges, unable to restrain his anger, will cry out: "One thing I cannot understand. You neither lived nor prayed as you should have, why then, are you so proud?"
"And to that," said Rabbi Mikhal, "to that argument I shall have no answer."
"Then why didn't you gave up earthly pleasures and devote yourself to serving the Lord?"
"You mustn't blame me, I shall say, I lacked the physical strength for that."
Then the court will examine my humanitarian activities and I shall be forced to admit that here too I failed to do my duty. My excuse? That I myself led a destitute existence. In the end, I can foresee it, one of the judges, unable to restrain his anger, will cry out: "One thing I cannot understand. You neither lived nor prayed as you should have, why then, are you so proud?"
"And to that," said Rabbi Mikhal, "to that argument I shall have no answer."
Comments