Skip to main content

God Saves

The story is told of a great flood occurring during the High Holy Day season.  Many homes along the river were flooded and many more were threatened by the rising, rushing, raging waters.  Morris Cohen, whose home was being engulfed by the rising flood waters, took refuge on the roof of his home.  Morris was terribly scared: however, being a religious man, he began to pray: “Please, dear God, save me.”  The water had now reached his feet.  A neighbor in a canoe paddled past and shouted, “Morris, can I give you a life to higher ground?”  “No thanks,” said Morris.  “I have faith in God and He will save me.”  Soon the water rose up to Morris’ waist.  At this point, a motorboat from the police rescue squad came up.  A policeman called out, “Can I give you a life to higher ground?”  “No, thanks,” answered Morris, “I have faith in God and He will save me.”  As the water came up to Morris’ neck, a helicopter flew over.  The pilot called down, “I’ll throw you a rope and pull you up.” “No thanks,” said Morris. “I have faith in God and He will save me.”  But, after hours of treading water poor Morris died and went to heaven.  “Dear God, I had such faith in You to save me.  I prayed so hard and You let me down.  What happened?”  The Lord answered, “Morris, I listened to your prayers, but you didn’t hear my answers.  First I sent you a canoe, then I sent you a motorboat, and finally I sent a helicopter with a lowered rope!”

Moral 1: God provides.  We must learn to accept.  And to be grateful.

Moral 2: We are the hands of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?