Skip to main content

Moved to Tears

Years ago, while in Miami giving a lecture on Rabbi Israel Meir Kagan, otherwise known as the Chofetz Chaim, the most beloved Jewish leader in the pre-World War II world, I mentioned a story, perhaps a legendary story, I had heard about a student in the rabbi’s yeshiva in Radin who was caught smoking on the Sabbath, creating a scandal.  But before he was expelled from the yeshiva,, the Chofetz Chaim asked to see the student first and in two minutes, so the story went, convinced the young man to give up the folly of his way.
I would give anything, I told the audience, to know what the Chofetz Chaim could have said in two minutes that one part of Israel has been trying for over thirty years to convince the other part of Israel to believe.
But as I’m going on and on about the Chofetz Chaim in this Florida hotel, I notice an older man in the front row trembling uncontrollably.
After the lecture he ran up to me and asked me where I had heard the story.  But even before I could tell him I didn’t recall, he grabbed my shoulder, “I’m that man!” he exclaimed.  “It happened to me!”

All he said was, “Shabbes. Shabbes,” with tears running down his cheeks.
Rabbi Shlomo Riskin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?