Skip to main content

Choose Life

Darryl Fairchild used the musical, Les Miserables to bring home the point that we are living in a moment of decision- whether to choose life or death.  The main character Jean Valjean and Javert face the issues of God and forgiveness in this dialogue:

Javert:  “I am reaching but I fall.”
Jean Valjean: “I am reaching but I fall.”

Javert: “And the stars and black and cold.”
Jean Valjean: “And the night is closing in.”

Javert: “As I stare into the void.”
Jean Valjean: “As I stare into the void.”

Javert: “Of a world that cannot hold.”
Jean Valjean: “To the whirlpool of my sin.”

Javert: “I’ll escape now from that world.”
Jean Valjean: “I’ll escape now from that world.”

Javert:  “From the world of Jean Valjean”
Jean Valjean: “From the world of Jean Valjean”

Javert: “There is nowhere I can turn.”
Jean Valjean: “Jean Valjean is nothing now.”

Javert chooses to commit suicide.
Jean Valjean chooses to create a new life.
Fairchild ends his essay. “When we encounter God it is a matter of life and death.  Let us pray to choose life.”  -Darryl Fairchild, “Turning, Turning, Turning”, 1991.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?