An angry reader once stormed into a newspaper office waving
the day’s paper, asking to see the editor of the obituary column. He showed him
his name in the obituary listing. “You see,” he said, “I am very much alive. I
demand a retraction!” The editor replied, “I never retract a story. But I’ll
tell you what I’ll do; I’ll put you in the birth column and give you a fresh
start!”
“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe…. Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not. Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?
Comments