Skip to main content

Live Life While You Can

The story is as old as Walcott’s beloved Cambrian mountains.  You begin with a promise: I won’t have time research but I will be more efficient. Others have fallen by the wayside, but I will be different; I will never abandon my research; I’ll keep working and publishing at close to full volume.  Slowly, the perverseness of creeping inevitability takes over.  Research fades. You never abandon the ideal, or the original love. You will get back to it, after his term as director, after retirement, after….

Sometimes, you really do enjoy an old age of renewed scholarship; more often, as in Wilcox case, death intervenes.  –Stephen J. Gould

Live life while you are alive.  Soon it will be over. Follow your heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?