Skip to main content

Knowing When to Quit

On September 27, 1926, Charles Doolittle Walcott took some action to implement a dream. He wrote:
I wish very much to have a talk with you in regard to the Smithsonian Institution and my withdrawing from all executive and administrative work May 1, 1927– When I will have completed 20 years active service as secretary.  Henry, Baird and Langley died in the office but I do not think it is wise for the Smithsonian Institution or for me to go along. I have writing to do that will take all my energy up to 1949. What fun it would be to watch the evolution of democracy up to 1950. Just now I am not looking ahead beyond 1930. I was told I might pass on at 26, again at 38 and 55 but being of obdurate temperament I declined.

Charles Walcott died in office on February 9, 1927.  – Stephen J. Gould

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?