Skip to main content

Shofar Sho Good

Yankel drove everyone crazy in the kibbutz.  He had no watch and every day he annoyed people asking them for the time.  To overcome the annoyance, the kibbutz decided to award him a watch when his ten year anniversary arrived.  But Yankel refused to accept it.  
"I really don't need a watch," he asserted.  "I can always ask someone else."  
His fellow kibbutzniks insisted, "But at night when you wake up, how can you tell the time?"
Yankel replied, "Oh, at night I use my shofar."
"How can a shofar tell you the correct time?"
"Simple, I open my window and blow the shofar.  Someone will then open their window and shout back, 'Meshuggina!  It's three o'clock in the morning and you blow a shofar! '  That's how I tell the time."  Rabbi Abraham Besdin

When we reach the sacred holy days this is precisely the function of the ram's horn, to wake us up that the hour is late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?