Skip to main content

Our Legacy

Years ago I recall reading from the pulpit at a Friday night service the names of beloved departed from the Yahrzeit list of that week prepared by our office. Inadvertently, the secretary had listed the name of a living son instead of the departed father. The member who was present at services with his two children heard his own name read before the Kaddish.  You can imagine how embarrassing the mistake might have been.
He wrote me a letter and I quote a portion of it: “My boys and I were shocked; I almost missed saying Kaddish.  As you can imagine, all kinds of thoughts ran through my mind.  Standing with my children and hearing my own name to be mourned at our Temple made me suddenly think of the future.  I thought to myself: Will my boys actually respect the traditions of our religion and observe Kaddish for me?  I wondered if I shall have deserved the same love and respect that my father and I shared.  Finally, I recalled that the Kaddish was originally recited as a mark of respect for learning and teachers.  I realize now that my responsibility is not to command love and respect, but to teach my boys, stressing ethics, esteem of others, moderation, and preparation for life.  Thank you for the unintentional error.”  -Rabbi Hillel Silverman




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?