A Rabbi in a small Polish village who was visiting the Hafetz Hayim, the
spiritual leader of the non-Hasidic Orthodox element of Polish Jewry at the
beginning of this century, complained that although he spoke almost every
Shabbat before Mincha admonishing his congregants, he has not noticed any
improvement in their behavior.
“Tell me,” asked the Hafetz Haym, “Do you get an ‘olam’ (literally a
‘world’ but here it means audience)?”
“I don’t want to brag,” answered the Rabbi, “but everyone tells me that
I am good speaker. If the weather is not
good at least 100 people come to hear me.”
“And,” the Hafetz Hayim continued, “are the people attentive?”
“Oh yes,” replied the Rabbi, “one can hear a pin drop. But what does it matter if what I told them
falls on deaf ears? What am I
accomplishing with all my preaching?”
“You have achieved much and the Lord will undoubtedly reward you
handsomely at the proper time. Just think of it. You have kept 100 Jews
from speaking Lashon ha-ra (evil gossip). Because of your speeches, you
are helping your baale batim
(members) achieve a good and long life. As David said, "Who is the
man who is eager to embrace life, who desires good fortune? The one who guards his tongue from evil and
lips from deceitful speech.” (Psalms 34)
Comments