Skip to main content

Put the Best Face on Your Problems

An itinerant preacher who did not have sufficient time to memorize his sermon was on his way to a certain town.  In the back of the wagon on a heap of hay, lay his bag which contained his tallit, tefillin and speech.  Stopping at a tavern, he unhitched the horse and led him to the rear of the wagon so that he could eat some of the hay.  The horse chewed up the owner’s bag, which contained his oration.  What was intended to be food for thought ended up being food for the horse.

What was he to do?  The orator was undeterred.  Ascending to the pulpit he said, “My friends, I do not know what to say.  I am a poor man with a wife and five marriageable daughters.  When I was coming to your town I had a fine sermon.  But a great misfortune has befallen me.  The horse – yes, the horse that carried me to instruct you and enlighten you – chewed up my speech.  But, my friends, if ever a horse comes to town and delivers a sermon I want you to know that the sermon is mine.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?