Skip to main content

Words


"I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged.  I am willing, perfectly willing to lay down all the joys of this life to help maintain this government.  Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it binds to me in mighty cables that nothing but omnipotence can break.  And yet my love of country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly with all those chains to the battlefront.  The memory of all the blissful moments I have enjoyed with you come crowding over me.  And I feel most deeply grateful to God that you and I have enjoyed them for so long.  And now hard as it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our boys grow up to be honorable manhood around us.   If I do not return, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I loved you.  Nor when that last breath escapes me on the battlefield, that it will whisper your name.  Forgive my many faults and the many pans I have caused you, how thoughtless, how foolish I have sometimes been.  But, oh Sarah, I shall always be with you in the brightest day and the darkest night, always.  And when the soft breeze fans your cheek it shall be my breath; the cool air on your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.  Sarah, do not mourn me dead.  Think I am gone and wait for me for we shall meet again." –Civil War letter, killed at Bull Run

Never dismiss the value of words. They have lasting impact.  After all, you are only reading this letter because it has been preserved by those who were blessed by it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?