Skip to main content

I Will Burn!

Let us wait for Shabbat, thought the Baal Shem Tov. Perhaps his saintliness coincides with that of the seventh day.  Wrong again:  his host slept even more than during the week. Unable to contain himself any longer, the Baal Shem spoke to him, “When I came here I had a question to ask you. I shall not ask it.  But now I have another: why do you eat so much?”
“I’ll tell you,” answered the man.  “It has to do with my father. Who was as a good Jew, gentle and frail, aspiring to please the Lord. Nothing else interested him. Neither money nor honors, not even health.  He lived only for and by the Torah. One day he was on his way to services when he was grabbed by bandits who tied him to a tree and ordered him to kiss across. He refused, of course. They beat him mercilessly; still he refused. Then they put kerosene over him and set him on fire. And because my father was so weak and thin, he burned only a moment; almost as soon as he was lit, he was burned out.  And I, who saw it all, swore that if ever put to the same test, I would not let them get away so easily.  I would show them that the Jew does not go out like a miserable skinny candle.  No, when I burn, I shall burn so long that they will burst with anger.  That is why eat so much; all my energy, all my passion is devoted to eating. Not that I’m hungry, you understand…”


Saint or misguided?  Zealot or fool?  Who is to judge?  Not me.    All that can be said is we can never test another’s devotion or make judgments about them religiously as deep down we all burn with an intensity that frightens us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?