Skip to main content

Honesty

Rabbi Judah ben Beteira was one day confronted with a non-Jewish Syrian braggart.  He remarked, “I’ve been to your Temple in Jerusalem and I have even eaten part of the sacrifice reserved only for Jews which shows you do not have to be Jewish.”
To this Rabbi Judah ben Beteira replied. “I bet you never had the fat of the tail, though.  You would have known to ask for it and it is reserved as extra special.”
So the next year when this same man went on a pilgrimage to the Temple, he asked, “I want the fat of the tail.”
The kohanim of the temple were shocked because everyone knows that this part is for the exclusive use of the kohanim.
“Who told you to ask for this?” they inquired.
When it was revealed that Rabbi Judah ben Beteira had told him to do so they uncovered the hidden message and put out the imposter.  –Talmud


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?