Skip to main content

The State of Affairs

When Reb Chaim Leib, the Sosnitzer Gaon, was rabbi in Smargon, there lived a wealthy, stingy man in the city who never gave a penny for religious purposes.  One day, while he was having a chat with the rabbi, he asked, “Rabbi, how are you getting along financially?”
“Well, if I would have four of five contributors like you, I would not have to worry about making a living.”
“Rabbi, please don’t be angry with me,” the man pleaded.  “Perhaps I do not give but you know, rabbi, that times are bad, expenses are high, and people rate me as richer than I am.”
“You misunderstand me,” Reb Chaim interrupted.  “This is what I meant.  If I should have four or five men like you, I would be perfectly contented.  The trouble lies in the fact that I have two hundred like you.”

Do not wait.  Be among the givers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?