Skip to main content

Life As it Is

There is a story about a blind and deaf man, both of whom visited a renowned doctor, an ear and throat specialist, in the hope that one might recover his hearing and the other his eyesight. The physician cured them both. The blind could now see and the deaf could now hear.  Happy, both patients left.
However the next week they returned. “We cannot take it any longer!”
"What is the matter?” asked the doctor.
Said the man who was formerly blind, “I cannot endure it. All these years I have never been able to see my wife but now that I do, I realize how ugly she is. I always imagined she was beautiful but now I discover she is so homely that I’m disappointed. I cannot bear to look at her.”
And the formerly deaf man explained, “For over 30 years I have never heard my wife’s voice and now I hear her all time. I just cannot escape her constant complaints, incessant nagging, and unending criticism. I cannot bear it.”
Smiling, the physician asked the first, “So you want me to restore your blindness?”
And to the second he asked, “Do you really want to be deaf again?”
“Oh no!  We would not want you to do that.”


”Well,” said the physician. “You will just have to see or hear things as they are, even if they are not to your liking.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?