Skip to main content

Fear and Awe

Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakkai was gravely ill.  His students came to visit him and when the master saw his acolytes he began to weep.
“Why are you crying?” they asked.
“If I were going before the king, I know where I stand.  After all, he will die too.  If he is angry at me I can appease him.  If he kills me I die only once.

“But of God, I do not know this.  I cannot appease Him.  I can die forever.  I do not know which direction I am headed.”  -Berachot 28b

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?