Skip to main content

Why We Age

Rabbi Israel Meir Lau recalls being liberated from Buchenwald at seven years old and Rabbi Herschel Schahcter finding him amid a pile of corpses.
“Wie alt bist du, mein kind?” (How old are you my boy?)

I saw tears dripping from his eyes….”What difference does it make?  At any rate, I’m older than you.”  He smiled at me from behind his tears, and asked, “Why do you think that you’re older than I am?”  Without hesitating I replied, “Because you laugh and cry like a child, and I haven’t laughed for a long time.  I can’t even cry any more.  So which one of us is older?”  from Out of the Depths

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?