Skip to main content

Know God


“I am reminded of a man of about sixty who was brought to me because of his auditory hallucinations lasting over many decades.  I was facing a ruined personality.  As it turned out, everyone in his environment regarded him as an idiot.  Yet, what a strange charm radiated from this man!  As a child he wanted to become a priest.  However, he had to be content with the only joy he could experience, and that was singing in the church coir on Sunday mornings.  Now, his sister, who accompanied him, reported that sometimes he grew very excited;  Yet in the last moment he was always able to regains elf-control.  I became interested in the psychodynamics underlying the case, for I thought there was a strong fixation of the patient on his sister, so I asked how he managed to regain his self-control: “For whose sake do you do so?”  Thereupon, there was  pause of some seconds and then the patient answered: “For God’s sake.”  At this moment, the depth of his personality revealed itself, and at the bottom of his depth, irrespective of the poverty of his intellectual endowment, and authentic religious life was disclosed.”  –Viktor Frankl

Sometimes we judge people on their degrees or facility with language.  Sometimes we ought to stand back and judge ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?