Skip to main content

God's Will

A rabbi was painting his fence on day.  He was meditating on the fact that life is so brief.  It’s just a vapor, he was thinking.  About that time, a man came along the road pulling a horse.
“Where are you going with that horse?’
“I’m going to town to sell it.”
The rabbi said, “You ought to have said that you are going to sell it, if it is the Lord’s will.”
The man said, “The Lord got nothing to do with it.  I raised the horse to sell.  I am going to sell it.”
The rabbi said, “I’m telling you, life is short. You ought to say, ‘if it is God’s will’.”
The man responded, “Look, I raised this horse. I have an appointment with potential buyer.  The Lord does not have anything to do with it.”
H walked off, dragging the horse.
The rabbi kept painting his fence.  About an hour and one half later he looked up and saw the man walking toward him.  His pants were down, his shoes were gone, he was trying cover himself up with his shirttail, his face was cut and his hair messy.
“What is the world happened to you?”
The man said, “Well, I stayed here and talked to you so I was late for my appointment.  I cut across a cornfield to save time.  The farmer who owns the field saw my horse but did not see me.   He shot my horse.  The horse fell on me, and then kicked me in the eye.  I could not get out from underneath him without pulling off my boots and britches.  I got up and the farmer started shooting at me.  Getting away, I caught myself on a barbed wire fence.
The rabbi asked, “Where are you going now?”

“Well, I’m going home, if it is the Lord’s will.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?