There is an ironic tale involving a blind person and a deaf
man, both of whom have visited a renowned ear-eye-and-throat specialist in the
hope that one might recover his hearing and the other his sight. The skilled physician healed them both. The blind could not see, and the deaf could
now hear. Ecstatically happy, both
patients departed. But the very next
week, they returned. “We can’t take it
any longer!:” they complained.
“What’s the matter?’ asked the doctor.
Said the man who was formerly blind” “I cant endure it. All these years I have never been able to see
my wife, but now that I do, I realize how utterly unattractive she is. I had always imagined she was beautiful. But
she’s so homely I am terribly disappointed.
I just can’t bear to look at her.”
And the formerly deaf man explained, “For over 30 years I
have never heard my wife’s voice, and now I hear her all the time. I just can’t escape from her constant
complaints, incessant nagging, and unending criticism. I simply cannot bear it!”
Smiling the physician asked the first, “So you want me to
restore your blindness??
And of the second he inquired, “Do you really want to be deaf again?”
And of the second he inquired, “Do you really want to be deaf again?”
“Oh no!” they both replied.
“We would want you to do that.”
“Well,” said the physician, “If you want to keep your
hearing or your eyesight, you must be willing to face reality, and you will
just have to see or hear things as they are, even if they are not to your
liking.”
Is this story about learning to accept what we do not like
about ourselves?
Is this tale about learning to love another not despite
their defects but because of them?
Is this story yours?
Comments