One day a rabbi looked out upon the marketplace. Everyone
was hurrying
through the marketplace attending to his or her particular
business. Suddenly
the rabbi saw a familiar face. “Moshe, come in, I want to
speak with you.”
“Shalom Rabbi, how are you?” “Thank God, I am fine. Tell me,
Moshe, what
were you doing in the marketplace?” “Oh, I’m very busy. I
have a lot of business
to take care of.” “ Moshe,” asked the rabbi, “Have you
looked up at the sky
today?” “At the sky, Rabbi? No, of course not. I’m too busy
to look at the sky.”
“Moshe, look out the window and tell me what you see.” “I
see people and
horses and carriages, all rushing around doing business.”
“Moshe, in fifty years
there will be other people in other carriages, drawn by
other horses, and we will
no longer be here. And, Moshe, in a hundred years, neither
the marketplace nor
this town will even exist. Look at the sky, Moshe, look at
the sky!”
Comments