Skip to main content

History

A boy is anxious to play marbles saves his pennies to buy a set.   Finally, he purchases a set and finally the boy ends up playing with kids in a large circle.
He wins.  And continues to win.  By sunset he was ready to go home with a pocketful of shiny marbles.
“Look mom!  I won!”
She answers, “Don’t you see?  It’s Shabbes!  Sunset.  Go change.”
“Look dad,“ he says.  “Look what I won.”
“You are late. Shabbes is here.  Go change,”
Finally, the boy sees his grandpa.  He mumbles that he won.  Grandpa responds, “Let’s see.”  He shows his winnings.
“That reminds me of a story.  When I was a boy my father worked for the Czar as a woodcutter.  He used to take me to the palace with him.  I saw kids playing marbles there.  They were sons of dukes and lords even the Czar!  I wanted to paly.  So I practiced every day with pebbles.  One day they asked me to join them.  And guess what?  I won.  I went home with a pocket full of marbles.  And I still have one.”
Then his grandpa pulled out a ruby marbles.  “This is all I have left.  The rest paid for our voyage to America.”  -Mara Mills


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?