“An elderly Jew was hospitalized in a Jewish hospital in Brooklyn.
After only a few days, he applied to return to his previous domicile. The
Senior Registrar came to see him to find out why he was leaving. 'Is the food
not up to standard?' he asked. 'I can't complain,' the man replied. 'Are the
nurses not doing their job?' 'I can't complain.' 'Is the medical care not up to
scratch?' 'No, I can't complain.' 'Then why do you want to leave?' 'That is
exactly it, I can't complain'!" -Rabbi Arnold Stiebel
“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe…. Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not. Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?
Comments