In the Talmud the story is told of a man would took a wager that he could anger Hillel, who was known as an extraordinarily patient man. If he succeeded in making Hillel upset he would get ten gold dinars. If not, he would have to pay.
On the eve of Shabbat as Hillel was immersed in the ritual bath, the man approached the venerable teacher and hollered, "Hillel! Hillel! Come out here. I have a question. Why do Babylonians have such round heads?"
Hillel reflected for a moment and then replied, "That is an interesting question. They have round heads for a simple reason. It is because Babylonians have no skilled midwives."
Hillel returned to the bathhouse.
"Hillel! Hillel!" the man yelled once again. "I have a question. Why are the inhabitants of Palmyra so bleary-eyed?"
"Hmm," said Hillel. "That is a difficult question. I suspect it may be because they they live in wind-swept, sandy regions."
Five minutes passed. "Hillel! Hillel! I have another question."
"I suspected that. What is it?"
Why are Africans broad-footed?"
"Ah yes. I used to wonder the same thing. They are broad-footed because they live in marshy swamplands."
Hillel turned back to his task.
"Just a minute! I have another question."
Hillel patiently waited.
"Do you know where I can get ten gold dinars?
"Why do you need them?" asked the sage.
"I just lost a bet that I could make you lose your temper."
The story is told to express a great attribute that all humanity needs to strive for. When we lose our patience we can lose loved ones, potential students, acolytes, and our selves. What we stand to gain when we keep our wits, is at least as great as what we would otherwise lose.
On the eve of Shabbat as Hillel was immersed in the ritual bath, the man approached the venerable teacher and hollered, "Hillel! Hillel! Come out here. I have a question. Why do Babylonians have such round heads?"
Hillel reflected for a moment and then replied, "That is an interesting question. They have round heads for a simple reason. It is because Babylonians have no skilled midwives."
Hillel returned to the bathhouse.
"Hillel! Hillel!" the man yelled once again. "I have a question. Why are the inhabitants of Palmyra so bleary-eyed?"
"Hmm," said Hillel. "That is a difficult question. I suspect it may be because they they live in wind-swept, sandy regions."
Five minutes passed. "Hillel! Hillel! I have another question."
"I suspected that. What is it?"
Why are Africans broad-footed?"
"Ah yes. I used to wonder the same thing. They are broad-footed because they live in marshy swamplands."
Hillel turned back to his task.
"Just a minute! I have another question."
Hillel patiently waited.
"Do you know where I can get ten gold dinars?
"Why do you need them?" asked the sage.
"I just lost a bet that I could make you lose your temper."
The story is told to express a great attribute that all humanity needs to strive for. When we lose our patience we can lose loved ones, potential students, acolytes, and our selves. What we stand to gain when we keep our wits, is at least as great as what we would otherwise lose.
Comments