There is a story told of a husband and wife who had their first child and could not agree on the name, so they went to their rabbi and he asked, “What’s the problem?” The mother said, “As the mother, I should have the first right to choose … I want the baby named after my father, Reuven.” The husband said, “No, I am the man of the house … I want the baby named after my father, whose name was Reuven.” The rabbi immediately perks up and says, “So then, what’s the problem?” The mother cries out, “His father was a horse thief.” He cries out, “Her father was a wife beater.” The rabbi, in his great wisdom, proclaimed: “I have the solution: you are to name the baby Reuven. If he grows to be a horse thief, then he is named after the husband’s father and if he grows to be a wife beater, he is named after the wife’s father.”
-Rabbi Mitchell Wohlberg
-Rabbi Mitchell Wohlberg
Comments