A rich man once gave $10,000 to three individuals saying, “I
want you to settle all my accounts when I die.
When that time comes, you can deduct whatever you think I owe you and
throw the rest into my grave.”
At the funeral the rabbi came and said, “I discovered that
you never gave anything to the shul so I have deducted 10%.” He then threw in $9000.
Next came his partner and threw in $5000. He said, “I deducted what you owed me.”
Lastly came his lawyer proudly saying, “Although you owed me
some fees, I am cancelling them and returning to you the entire amount.” He then threw in a check for $10,000.
The moral? If we are
devious enough we can find a way to defraud while thinking we have pure
hands. In the days leading up the High
Holy Days it is wise to not indulge in self-deceit. As the holy prayer Unetaneh Tokef declares, “He
knows even our innermost thought.”
Comments