Skip to main content

Good Neighbors


I live in a farming community.  One windy day, after I’d hung my laundry out to dry, I returned to my house just in time to notice the farmer who rents the neighboring field had begun to plow, sending clouds of dust toward the wet clothes hanging on my lie.
Quickly shutting the windows, I hurried outside to retrieve the clothes.  But when I got to the line, the roaring plow had disappeared.
Several days later I ran into the farmer and asked him about the incident.  With a smile he told me that, yes, he remembered the day.  As soon as he saw my clothes on the line and realized which way the wind was blowing, he had decided to plow elsewhere and return to that field later. 
Our town has no theaters or fancy restaurants, but we do have good friends and neighbors who care about each other – as well as their laundry.  –Mary Love in Reader’s Digest

This may not qualify as "tzedaka" but it is a righteous way of thinking.  Every moment has such possibilities of noble living in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?