Skip to main content

Builders

I watched them tearing a building down,


A gang of men in a busy town.

With a you-heave-ho and a lusty yell,

They swung a beam and the side wall fell.

I asked the foreman: “Are these men skilled,

The kind you would hire if you wanted to build?”

He laughed and said, “Why, no, indeed!

Just common labor is all I need.

They can easily wreck in a day or two

What builders have taken years to do.”

Which of these roles have I tried today?

Am I a builder who works with care,

Measuring life by the rule and square,

Shaping my deeds by a well-made plan,

Patiently doing the best I can?

Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,

Content with the labor of tearing down?

- G.K. Chesterton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?