Skip to main content

Real Prayer from the Sages

 Ben Zoma was once in a vast crowd on the steps of the Temple Mount. He said: "Blessed is the One who discerns secrets, and blessed is the Holy One who has created all these people to serve me." For, he also used to say, "What labors did Adam have to carry out before he obtained bread to eat? He ploughed. He sowed. He reaped. He tied the sheaves. He threshed the grain and winnowed the chaff. He selected the ears, then ground them, sifted the flour, kneaded the dough, and baked it. Finally, was he able to eat. I, on the other hand, get up and find that all these things have been done for me. And, how much effort did Adam have to carry out before he obtained a garment to wear?! He had to shear the sheep, wash the shearing, comb, spin, and weave it. Only then did he have a piece of cloth ready to wear. I get up and find these things done for me. Many craftsmen come early to the door of my house. I rise in the morning and find all these before me."Talmud Berachot 58a. 

Ben Zoma used to say, "What does a good guest say? "How much trouble my host has taken for me! How much meat he has set before me! How much wine he has set before me! How many cakes he has set before me! And all the trouble has taken was only for my sake!" -- Talmud Berachot 58a. 

One who crosses the ocean and is rescued from a shipwreck gives thanks to God. Should we not thank God if we cross without a mishap? One who is cured of a dangerous illness offers praise to God. Should we not praise God when God grants health and preserves us from illness?The Radziminer Rebbe 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?