Skip to main content

Open Your Heart to God

I have a friend who tells the following story:  when he lived in Washington for Thanksgiving day weekend weather forecast predicted snow. He heard the report but ignored it. Early Friday morning, he went shopping and by the time he was ready to return home, there was about an inch of snow on the ground. Without snow tires, his car was immobilized.  A cab driver stopped, shoveled away the snow and finished the job with a throw of salt and sand. He said to my friend, “I want you to go back into the store and buy a shovel and a bag of salt.” My friend pulled out of the cab driver did not go away. My friend put a hand in his pocket to give him a tip. The cab driver refused the money and repeated to my friend, “I want you to go back into the store and buy a shovel and a bag of salt.”  

The cab driver still did not depart. My friend began to get nervous. He asked him in desperation, “What do you want for me?” The cab driver replied, “I want you to go back into the store and buy a shovel and a bag of salt and I want you to do it now.” This taxi driver did not want to merely teach my friend how to prepare for the capricious weather, he wanted him to take those precautions at that very moment.

Jewish Life too, consists of more than just knowing facts. It is not a mere intellectual exercise but the commitment of our whole beings to living Jewish lives and doing mitzvot. Rabbi Elliot Schoenberg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?