Skip to main content

Do not Forget Them

Menashe Klein was a survivor of Buchwald with Elie Wiesel.  Klein became a rabbi and he and Wiesel spoke often.
“He was a very important rabbinic authority, and he became a very pious rabbi,” said Wiesel.  “And I told him my problems.  And surely you cannot say I am a religiously pious person.  But nevertheless our relationship never suffered.  And one day, eve of Rosh Hashanah, I get up unusually very early in the morning, say my prayers, and in my prayer there are a few names- the prayer for the sick, for the ill.  And he was one of them.  And I forgot him – the prayer for his recovery.
“And then, eleven o’clock: ‘Oh, God! I forgot his name in my prayer.’  I ran to the telephone, called.  Answering machine: ‘The funeral left’.”  - from The Inventing the Art of Hope

Pray for those who are in need.  Do not forget them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?