Skip to main content

The King and I

Once upon a time there was a prince who had only one daughter whom he loved deeply.
When the girl came of age the prince found for her a worthy husband and prepared the wedding. On the eve of the painful separation, he spoke thus to the young husband:
”I give you my daughter as wife and I have no more right to retain her at my side any more.   But you must understand, my dear son-in-law, how hard is the separation for me. Therefore I beg you to take good care of my dear child and to keep a small room in your house always ready for me. Then I may rejoice in her company from time to time.

Similarly, God gave away the Torah to the people Israel with the following warning: “I entrust to you this treasure with the hope that you will take care of it and you will have where are you dwell, a place, a small temple, where I can stay near my only daughter.” -Midrash


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?