Skip to main content

Hidden No More

When I was going to be twelve, my great grandfather called my grandfather in Spanish and said, "It's time to tell the boy."  So the next morning, on my birthday. my grandfather woke me and took me to get water.  He began to tell me about the Jews in the Bible, the stories I had heard in Catechism class. I asked him, "Why are you telling me all this?"
"Because,"he said, "eres Judio -- you are a Jew."
And I said, "No, I'm Catholic," and he said, "No, eres Judio."
I got angry, we had been taught to hate the Jews because they were the Christ killers, and here my own grandfather was calling me a Jew.  Then he pulled the water out and poured it over my head and said, "No tas portisado," that is, "you are no longer baptized."  So by pouring water over my head, he took away the baptism; it was time to wash it off.  And all of a sudden I realized that we had these strange foods and custom, these strange services we used to do.  We were Jews, we were hidden Jews.  -Nan Rubin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?