Skip to main content

Think of the Alternative (Be Positive)

 Five dollars was a matter of tremendous importance in out household on the Lower East Side of New York.  There were not many five dollar bills for use at any one time. I was a kid of about 10 or 11 and I lost a five dollar bill. My mother gave it to me to buy something and I lost it. I don’t know how, but I lost it and that’s all. I sat in the park most of the day afraid to go home.  I walked the streets. Wherever I went I kept looking for that five dollar bill. I knew that this was foolish, but I was frantic. I kept thinking that maybe I could find another five dollar bill to replace the one I lost. Finally it was dark, and I just had to go home. I hardly knew where or how to begin.  What could I say? But I have to say. I told my mother that I had lost the money.  She grabbed me tight and seemed to be as happy as could be and kept repeating in Yiddish over and over again, “It’s better than giving it to a doctor.”  -Harry Golden

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?