Skip to main content

Stand Up for Belief

Mr. Goldwyn sat forward at his desk and peered over his glasses.  You’re a what?”
“I’m a Jew, Mr. Goldwyn, and I can’t work on the high holy days.”
“You mean it?  It’s not one of your little jokes?”
“No. I’ll do anything in the world for you, Mr. Goldwyn, but I won’t work on Yom Kippur.”
“You’re a real Jew?”
“Yes, sir.  I converted several months ago.”
“You know what it’ll cost me to suspend production for a day?  We can’t change the schedule, it’s too late.  Twenty-five thousand.  Maybe more.”
“I just learned today that I’m scheduled to shoot on Yom Kippur, sir.  I came up as soon as I heard.”
He threw out his hands. “Sammy –answer me a question. What did I ever do to you?”
“Sir, you’ve been wonderful and I feel terrible about the problems I’m causing you.  It’s one day of the year when I won’t work.  I’m sorry.  I really am.”
He took off his glasses. “Sammy, you’re a little so and so, but go with your yarmulke and your tallis – we’ll work it out somehow.”  He sighed, like now he’d seen everything and as I left his office he was behind his desk talking to the four walls, “Directors I can fight.  Fires on the set I can fight.  Writers, even actors, I can fight.  But a Jewish colored fellow?  This I can’t fight!?”
-from Yes I Can!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?