Skip to main content

Do Take it Personally

On Shabbat Shuva, the Sabbath of Repentance, a visiting maggid preached a sermon at the synagogue of Rabbi Meir Hurwitz of Tiktin.  The teacher castigate the congregation for their sins and admonished them to repent.  When the severe tongue-lashing was over, Rabbi Meir had tears on his cheeks and said to the Maggid, "I was deeply moved by your stirring words and I will repent for my transgressions.  However, I am sorely distressed that you found it necessary to put me to shame before my entire congregation.  Do I really merit such treatment from you?"
Abashed, the Maggid replied, "I would never humiliate you in public.  I was not referring to you at all, for you are well known for your fear of Heaven."
Unappeased, Rabbi Meir retorted, "But my congregants are all pious and holy.  Only I could be guilty of such sins." -Philip Goodman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?