Skip to main content

Where Heaven and Hell Meet




When the great Reb Moshe Leib of Sassov passed away, he did not eagerly tread the path to the Next Universe.  Instead, he fretted that his opportunity for doing mitzvahs had ended.  No longer in the land of the living the venerated rabbi sighed.  “In death I am free from doing the Will of the Almighty.  Now what can I do to please my Maker?  How can I serve my Lord, God?”
He thought, “It must surely be God’s desire that I be punished for all my many transgressions.”  Immediately Reb Moshe Leib jumped straight down into the pit of Gehenna.  Heaven flew into an uproar.  How could the holy rabbi do such a thing?  Gehenna was not his place!  This sainted leader was destined for great reward, not terrible punishment!
Heaven issued a decree that Gehenna was to cease all its excoriating, terrible fires.   As long as the vaunted Sassover Rabbi was there, Gehenna was directed to be silent.  That is when the master of Gehenna turned to the holy man himself and begged him to leave.  As long as the rebbe was there, peace would reign in the nether-world.
“I will not move from here,” said Reb Moshe Leib.  “I will not move unless all these afflicted, tormented souls will go with me.  When I was on earth, I took my obligation seriously of helping the needy.  I fought for them.  I worked to free the captives from prison.  Why should it be different now?”
They say the Sassover Rebbe had his way.


“Lord, break the yoke from the necks of Your children over the earth.  Have compassion for those who suffer.  Let those imprisoned go free.”        ~ Siddur

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?