Skip to main content

Remind Me


We work.  We go to school.  We save for vacations.  We raise our families.  We build homes and empires.  With all this busy activity sometimes we forget what it is all for.  What is our goal in life?  What are we doing all this labor for?  Am I putting emphasis where it belongs?  Or have I gone astray?

In Ropshitz, it was customary for the wealthy – whose homes were built at the far end of town – to hire someone to watch over their property at night.  Late one evening, when Rabbi Naftali was taking a walk, he met a watchman on his rounds.  The rabbi asked, “Who are you working for?”
After the watchman replied he also asked, “For whom are you working, rabbi?”
 The question pierced the heart of the rabbi.  He walked silently beside the watchman for a while and finally asked, “Will you be my servant?”
The watchman answered, “I would like to, but first tell me what my duties would be.”
“To remind me,” replied Rabbi Naftali.  “To remind me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact

“Between 1305 and the early 1800’s. the House of Taxis ran a form of pony express service all over Europe….   Its couriers clad in blue and silver uniforms, crisscrossed the continent carrying messages between princes and generals, merchants and money lenders.” –Alvin Toffler, The Third Wave We may think we are the first generation consumed by rapid communication but we are not.   Throughout our history it has been a priority. Of course, now in the 21 st century we must ask: are we better or worse for it?